We are SMASHMEDICINE LTD an online social media platform and learning resource.
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data. We have produced this document to help you understand what personal data we collect about you, how we use that data, and to give you clear and transparent guidance on your rights. This document covers the following areas:
- The data we collect about you
- How is your personal data collected?
- How we use your personal data and why
- Disclosures of your personal data
- International transfers
- Data security
- Data retention
- Your legal rights
- Contact details
The website, smashmedicine.com, (the “Website”) is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
The data we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you.
- Identity Data: first name, last name and username.
- Contact Data: email address.
- Technical Data: internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data: your username and password, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data: information about how you use our website, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data: your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We may use all such information to generate statistics in relation to pages visited, questions answered, reviewed and written as well as user demographics. We may also use it to monitor usage patterns on the website in order to improve the functionality of the website. To optimise the website and related services, we may make such information as described above available to third parties. We may use any data generated to improve question quality and potentially for academic or market research purposes.
We do not collect any "Special Categories of Personal Data" about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
How is your personal data collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
Direct interactions: You may give us your Identity, Contact and Profile by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- create an account on our website;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey; or
- give us feedback or contact us.
Third parties or publicly available sources: We do not receive personal data about you from third parties or public sources..
How we use your personal data and why
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with
you. This is so we can:
- Register you as a new user;
- Provide you with support;
- Subscribe for a service;
Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your
interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. This is so we can:
- To create a profile about you to help us personalise our services to you;
- Provide you with customer and product service communications such as event reminders, dealing with disputes and complaints;
- To share your question results with your university institutions and generate statistics in relation to pages visited, questions answered, reviewed and written as well as user demographics to improve question quality and for academic or market research purposes.
- To monitor usage patterns on the website in order to improve the functionality.
- Enable you to partake in prize draws, competitions, complete surveys and obtain information of other services. This is so we can study how our customers use, improve and customise our products and services, ensure sustainability and grow;
- To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data) for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise;
- To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them; inform our marketing strategy; and help us ensure sustainability and grow;
- To prevent or detect unlawful behaviour, to protect or enforce our legal rights or as otherwise permitted by law.
- To use data analytics to improve the Website, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep the Website updated and relevant, to inform our marketing strategy; and help us ensure sustainability and grow; and
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest. This is so we can develop our products/services and growth.
- To provide interactive services like leaderboards, chat rooms and bulletin boards. This so we can enhance the user experience; to inform our marketing strategy; and help us ensure sustainability and grow.
Where we need to comply with a legal obligation:
- To disclose data we hold about you to relevant regulatory bodies, and to others in connection with fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data although we will get your consent before sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
Marketing and Promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you (we call this marketing).
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods or services from us and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time or logging into the website and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service purchase, warranty registration, product/service experience or other transactions.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Disclosures of your personal data
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
If, to deliver our services to you, it is necessary for us to share or transfer your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), then some additional safeguards will apply.
Where we need to make a transfer of this nature, we will only do so if such a transfer is safe and your personal information will be secure.
This means that when we transfer your personal information outside the EEA we will only do so where (i) there are Binding Corporate rules in place; or (ii) the country where are are making the transfer to is a country deemed by the European Commission to have an adequate level of protection in place for your personal information; or (iii) if there is no adequacy decision, where we have contractual arrangement with the service provider containing protections for your personal information (the EU Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses, for example) or (iv) where the service provider is part of an approved scheme (Privacy Shield, for example).
Please contact us if you want further information on the mechanisms used by us when transferring your personal information out of the EEA.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Users must not share passwords with anyone.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
By law we have to keep basic information about our customers (including Contact, Identity, Financial and Transaction Data) for six years after they cease being customers for tax purposes.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see your legal rights below for further information.
In some circumstances we will anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your legal rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. This includes:
- Request a copy of your personal data and information about our processing of it;
- Request that we correct any personal data that we hold on you;
- Request that we delete information on you, if we do not need to hold it;
- Request to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances;
- Request that we copy or transfer your personal data to another IT environment; and
- Right to withdraw consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we could refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it could take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
- Full name of legal entity: SmashMedicine LTD.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: 3-5 Hythe Bridge St, Oxford OX1 2EW
- Telephone number: +44 (0) 1865 288990
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.